Becoming a member of Friends of Blue Moutain formalizes your commitment and adds your name to our growing list of supporters. As a member you will . . .
- learn of opportunities to contribute as a volunteer on our committees;
- receive early notice of special events and our Blue Mountan NEWS;
- have full participation privileges at our Annual General Meeting;
- be eligible to be nominated and elected to serve on our Board of Directors;
- have the option to participate in “members only” hikes and activities.
There is NO CHARGE FOR MEMBERSHIP!
As of May 2021, we are at more than 700 members as we move into our third year. With your support, let’s achieve our next goal: 1000!
FOR ALL NEW MEMBERS: By joining, you agree to accept and support the Mission Statement of the Friends of Blue Mountain-Birch Cove Lakes Society.
To join, please complete and submit the form below:
We need your support to continue! Please consider a donation to enable Friends to continue to work towards getting Halifax the best park ever!
As an active society, we are incurring expenses as we continue with our vision of seeing the Blue Mountain-Birch Cove Lakes national urban park become a reality.
Expenses are related to web site management, production of documents, displays and support materials, rentals, insurance, and payments for services. All levels of donation are welcomed and very much appreciated.
SPECIAL NOTE: We can now offer a charitable tax receipt for income tax purposes through our membership in the Nova Scotia Trails Federation:
In order to direct your donation to our organization, please visit the Canada Helps web site and select “Friends of Blue Mountain Birch Cove Lakes Society” on the drop-down list under “Apply your donation to a fund set up by this charity”.
We need many volunteers to create and maintain a strong and impactful organization. As one of our volunteers, you will be joining others who bring a passion for this outstanding, proposed, urban wilderness park to all of our activities whether indoor or outdoor. We are a 100% volunteer-based organization and need both scheduled and short-notice help. Many hands make light work. We would love to have you share your skills.
Skill sets we need:
- Events: Co-chair; plan and organizing wilderness experiences (canoeing, natural history); speaker series, special focus events; event promotion; administration
- Public Relations/Communications: Maintaining website & social media; messaging to our membership, media and targeted audiences; newsletter; graphic design; drone photography; virtual outreach
- Membership & Volunteer Interests: Recruit & welcome new members/volunteers; conduct surveys; maintain lists opportunities; working information booths; records management; volunteer coordinator
- Fundraising: Campaign work; grant applications; work with Events team on innovative projects
- Administrative Assistance: Maintaining records; tracking action items, supporting special initiatives
- Planning: Research; policy building; monitoring project developments; site visits; report writing; BMBCL perimeter contacts
- Stewardship: Currently under review. Looking after any aspect of existing or new trails is not within our current mandate. Our mission is to make sure the regional park becomes a reality–that in itself is keeping us very busy. However, there are many components to stewardship that do not involve trail management–those terms of reference remain a “work in progress” and your involvement in that process is welcome.
There are several ways you can express your interest in volunteering with Friends:
- Complete the Membership sign-up form below and make sure to fill in the “Volunteer Interests” field, or
- If you are already a member, simply enter details in the “Volunteer” field on the Contact form, or
- Complete this on-line form and submit.